Film Releases This Week: Which to Watch?
As the weather gets a little cooler with the Monsoons entering, romance is in the air, even at the cinema this week. Which kind of love story should you take your date to? Find out.
Genre: Romance, Action, Drama
Starring: Shahid Kapoor, Kiara Advani, Arjan Bajwa, Suresh Oberoi
Directed by: Sandeep Vanga
Kabir Singh has been the talk of the town even before he has hit the big screen for his gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, life-changing story of a man in self-destruct mode after the love of his life is coerced into marrying another.
Watch it because…
1) Shahid Kapoor worked hard on his transformation for the role of Kabir Singh, from losing 14 kilos to working hard to get chiselled abs in under two months to smoking 20 cigarettes a day (even though as someone who has quit smoking in real life he does not recommend it). He appears in two different looks in the film, from a young college lad to a “puffy, groggy alcoholic” grown up, both of which have been appreciated by industry insiders.
2) Kabir Singh is a work of dedicated attention to detail: the producers postponed the shooting of the film by three whole months just to let Shahid grow his beard to the appropriate length for the role.
3) The film is a Hindi-language adaptation of Telugu film Arjun Reddy, which became the biggest hit of Tollywood in 2017. There is definitely something worth watching about the story.
4) If you have ever had your heart broken and been through a “phase” this film will give you the feels.
Genre: Romantic comedy
Starring: Karishma Sharma, Arpit Chaudhary, Nachiket Narvekar
Directed by: Amit Agarwal
This is the story of perhaps thousands of Indian families. A young son comes of marriageable age and almost immediately his family decide to start the bride hunt along the arranged shaadi route. But his heart belongs to a free-spirited girl who shows no signs of wanting to ‘settle down’ just yet. Will boy get with the girl he loves in the end? Or will he have to acquiesce to his parents’ wishes and enter a loveless union? This film answers these questions with a friend to help save the day and lots of light-hearted comedy along the way.
Watch it because…
1) There is a giant parivaar involved. Everyone is talking of shaadi, one of India’s favourite pastimes. This should be a #relatable fun film for a family day out.
2) ‘Aaj hai, abhi hai, jo bhi zindagi hai, kal ki bhavishyavani dramebaazi saari.” You might just encounter deep wisdom the film’s song lyrics and it could change your life…
3) The director hints at a twist in the tale but not much more has been revealed. Curiosity demands we watch and find out!