From recent performances and captain Virat Kohli’s body language, India looks set to make a strong play for the much coveted World Cup trophy. The Blues are a formidable team especially when you consider the ‘X factor’ that can turn things in their favour. Who are we talking about? Jasprit Bumrah, of course! Here is why he is a player to watch out for.
1) His unusual style of bowling has earned him the epithet of ‘India’s X factor’ from none other than former Australian pacer Daniel Fleming who feels Bumrah displays “unorthodox action, a stuttery run-up, a weird run-up” which can hide the ball from the batsman’s vision to Bumrah’s advantage.
2) He is one of India’s fastest bowlers with an international reputation for his yorker deliveries. Even veterans of the sport like Wasim Akram, who was famous for his ‘toe crushers,’ acknowledge Bumrah as the “most effective yorker” around.
3) ‘Out of left field’ is a phrase that generally denotes something unexpected. In Bumrah’s case, it is his deliveries from the right, with a weird side arm swing, that confuse the heck out of batsmen and cause them to make mistakes.
4) India’s pace attack is the envy of many an international team because the Blues have cool-headed, lightning-fast Bumrah on their side whose bowling speed remains consistently at 145-150 kilometres per hour.
5) In the 2016 T20I Series against West Indies, Bumrah took a total of 28 wickets to become the bowler to claim most number of wickets in a calendar year, overtaking Dirk Nannes’s record.
6) In 2018, he became the first Asian bowler to take five-wicket hauls in Australia, England, and South Africa in the same year.
7) As Bumrah joined the Indian squad for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, he was named as one of the five exciting talents making their World Cup debut by ICC (International Cricket Council).