Saand Ki Aankh is an amusing title of a much awaited biopic releasing this Diwali, starring Bhumi Pednekar, Tapsee Pannu, and Prakash Jha, directed by Tushar Hiranandani and produced by Anurag Kashyap. The film is about two real-life female sharp shooters, Chandro Tomar and her sister-in-law Prakashi Tomar from Uttar Pradesh. Before we get to see how Bollywood has depicted these iron ladies, we would like to give the real women behind the reel entertainment some much deserved and needed spotlight.
Here are the real life facts behind Saand Ki Aankh.
1) At 87 years old and 82 years old respectively, Chandro Tomar and her sister-in-law Prakashi Tomar are the world’s oldest professional sharp shooters.
2) Chandro Tomar is fondly called ‘Shooter Dadi’ (lit. Shooter Grandma) in her village, and Prakashi Tomar is called ‘Revolver Dadi’ (lit. Revolver Grandma).
3) Both Chandro and Prakashi have won 25 national shooting championships, and a gold medal at the Veteran Shooting Championship in Chennai.
4) Chandro and Prakashi are proof that destiny can find you at any age, any time. They both started learning shooting after the age of 60.
5) Chandro and Prakashi chanced upon shooting as a calling only because they chose to escort Chandro’s daughter Seema Tomar to the shooting academy as she felt too shy to go by herself.
6) Their granddaughter Seema Tomar is an international shooting personality in her own right. She is a trap shooter and the only Indian woman to have won the shotgun silver medal at the International Shooting Sport Federation World Cup.
7) In the otherwise conservative society of Uttar Pradesh where women do not really enjoy much freedom, the shooting grandmas belong to the Bagpat village where shooting is a popular sport practiced by a majority of women.