Top 10 Reasons Why MSD Is the G.O.A.T Indian Captain!
Temperatures are already high but the excitement is also rising with the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. While there is still time for India to play its first match against South Africa on 5 June 2019, we reflect on our nation’s formidable cricketing career. One name that stands out in our team’s glorious journey is Mahendra Singh Dhoni, former captain of the Blues.
Here are ten reasons why we think MSD is the ‘Greatest (Captain) Of All Time’!
1) Outside of Australia M.S Dhoni is the only cricketer to have captained over 100 matches. Other than the two Australian captains, Ricky Ponting and Allan Border, he is also the only one to have won 100 matches.
2) With 27 wins from 60 matches, Dhoni is India’s most successful Test cricket captain.
3) He also holds the record for most wins by an Indian captain in ODIs.
4) In 2013, he became the first Indian captain to win four Tests in a series, defeating Australia 4-0 for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
5) He broke the national record for leading the most number of tests with 60 under his belt.
6) And he broke Sunil Gavaskar’s record for 3449 runs scored as Test cricket captain with a tally of 3454 runs.
7) Oh! And did we mention he is the first wicketkeeper to have led India in a Test?
8) MSD is the only Indian captain to win five consecutive series.
9) Under Dhoni’s captaincy, India won the ICC World Cup in 2011 after 28 years. It was last won in 1983 by ‘Kapil’s Devil’s’.
10) He led India to its first Test victory on New Zealand soil in 33 years in 2009.